Social Media Gifting News
Social Media’s Opportunity
Social media, in whatever context you engage, has the inherent opportunity to know a lot about the individuals you are connected with, including the nature and depth of those connections.
Whether knowing that your 5-year anniversary is coming up next month, that your mother’s birthday is next week, or that a co-worker has just been promoted, social media can act as a reminder and serve as a facilitator in the gift giving experience.
But The Gifts Haven’t Changed…
With all the potential of User Generated Content and social networks, providers of Gifts and gift cards have focused on conveneince in purchasing, delivery, and redemption. Jifiti, Loop, SmartGift and Giftagram offer a growing array of tangible gifts and gift card solutions – yet there is still something missing.
The next step in social gifting is the creation of non-traditional gifts made with social media itself. Storyselling where the story and the product is you!
Some Facts About Social Media
Users on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Youtube are uploading and sharing media at an astonishing rate. Consider the following:
- 13.5 million profile photos are changed every day.
- 60 hours of video are uploaded on YouTube every minute. 10 days = 1 century of videos.
- 60% of videos have under 60 views, which means that these are not professionally produced videos made for the general public, they are personal videos made for friends and family.
User Generated Content Is The Key
Self-expression and storytelling are the most powerful motivators in social media. User Generated Content (UGC) is the engine that increasingly powers social media. Enabling gifts which incorporate UGC is the ultimate promise of social media gifting.
We believe that social gifting will only reach its true potential when its gifts are transformed by user generated content into social media gifting. The gift-giver can use images, sounds, music, and even video that have already been self-qualified as part of a user’s timeline, circle of friends and “likes”.
Gifts That Share A Little Bit Of You
What You Can Do
Weave the tangible back into the gift giving experience. If you’re a vendor in the social media gifting space, look for ways to incorporate palpable, self-playing media into the delivery process. If your a social media provider, ask your vendors what they can do to deepen the impact of the gift giving experience through self-playing media.
Examples & Ideas
Here are a few ideas to incorporate self-playing media into the social gifting experience:
- Greeting Cards – Offer the ability to embed high-quality recorded sound into the greeting card process, allowing Grandma to not only see a picture of her family, but hear them sing and share their love with sound.
- Delivered Gifts – Use a light sensor to trigger music when the gift box is opened (immediately setting a positive mood) and draw attention to a voice message attached to the gift.
- Video Screens – Use a self-playing video screen to allow your customers to send personalized video greetings embedded in a physical card. (Note: The technology for video is still cost prohibitive at a mass market scale, yet there certainly market specific applications)
How Voice Express Can Help
Voice Express has deep roots in the gift giving industry. We’ve worked with partners like FTD and Build-a-Bear to incorporate self-playing media into the gift giving experience. We are an enabler, working behind the scenes to deliver the technology and supply-chain expertise to help you incorporate self-playing, tangibly delivered media into the gift giving experience.
Are you ready to get started?
Are you ready to incorporate self-playing media into your social media gifting user experience? Contact Us Today